Discurso de Lula da Silva (excerto)

___diegophc

sábado, 8 de maio de 2010

Canções da Guerra Civil Norte Americana (2)

Johnny Cash sings Civil War songs



.
.
abargle 3 de Julho de 2009 — Johnny Cash's love for country nearly rivaled that of his love for the Lord, and he took advantage of every opportunity to explore his patriotism in all its complexity and nuance on his short-lived variety show. In this August 30, 1969, "Ride This Train" segment, he salutes the veterans and victims of the Civil War in song and story. Includes a cover of Johnny Horton's "Johnny Reb." That's a whole lot of Johnny!
.



Civil War Song "Chaplain" CD Title "No Longer Gray Or Blue"
.

.
lisagodino1 5 de Agosto de 2007 — The Civil War soldier, capturing the soul and spirit of him "never forget me". This song is on our new CD "No Longer Gray Or Blue" listen to sound clips visit our web site www.plumrunmusic.com

Lyrics

When I walk into a battle will I be a strong man as I hold this riffle musket in my trembling hands. Will I turn around and run and be shunned by everyone or fight proud and brave and be taken to my grave

Chorus
Oh chaplain here me calling out to you whats a young boys heart suppose to do and chaplain take me by your weary side and pray for me to go to heaven should I die

Will I be sickened by the blood that colors the farmers field will I cry out loudly for the death of my peers will I go to shoot a man and be frozen in my stance or will I shoot him down with just one round oh here I go again

Chours
Oh chaplain here me calling out to you whats a young boys heart suppose to do and chaplain take me by your weary side and pray for me to go to heaven should I die

And this train keeps a rolling down these old rusty rail you can hear her whistle blowing across this northern Ohio trail

When I reach my destination I will try to be brave I will fight for my country no matter what it takes and if I do not survive will someone please take me home and bury me in the soil of Ohio

Chours
Oh chaplain here me calling out to you whats a young boys heart suppose to do and chaplain take me by your weary side and pray for me to go to heaven should I die and pray for me to go to heaven should I die

Words and Music Lisa Godino

.
Field Musicians of the Civil War



.
.
tapsbugler 10 de Maio de 2007 — Musicians provided music during the the Civil War. Fifers drummers and buglers provided the beat to everyday life of the soldier. Check out the National Civil War Field Music School at Pamplin Park http://www.nationalcivilwarfieldmusic...
.
.

Brass Bands of the Civil War


.
.
tapsbugler 10 de Maio de 2007Brass Bands played an important role during the Civil War providing martial music for dress parades, serenades for officers and music of home for the troops. Music recorded by the Federal City Brass Band, one of the top Civil War bands in the U.S. today. Tunes include Bonnie Blue Flag Dixie and Battle Hymn of the Republic. For more information please visit www.jvmusic.net
.

Joan Baez - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down


.
.




Joan Baez : the Night They Drove Old Dixie Down Lyrics

Songwriters: Robertson, Robbie;


The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" is a song written by Canadian musician Robbie Robertson, first recorded by The Band in 1969 and released on their self-titled second album.

Contents

 

 Meaning of song

The lyrics tell of the last days of the American Civil War and its aftermath. Confederate soldier Virgil Caine "served on the Danville train," the main supply line into the Confederate capital of Richmond, Virginia. General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia is holding the line at the Siege of Petersburg. As part of the offensive campaign, Union Army General George Stoneman's forces "tore up the track again". The siege lasted from June 1864 to April 1865, when both Petersburg and Richmond fell, and Lee's troops were starving at the end ("We were hungry / Just barely alive"). Virgil relates and mourns the loss of his brother: "He was just eighteen, proud and brave / But a Yankee laid him in his grave."
.
Ralph J. Gleason (in the review in Rolling Stone (US edition only) of October 1969) explains why this song has such an impact on listeners: "Nothing I have read … has brought home the overwhelming human sense of history that this song does. The only thing I can relate it to at all is 'The Red Badge of Courage'. It's a remarkable song, the rhythmic structure, the voice of Levon and the bass line with the drum accents and then the heavy close harmony of Levon, Richard and Rick in the theme, make it seem impossible that this isn't some traditional material handed down from father to son straight from that winter of 1865 to today. It has that ring of truth and the whole aura of authenticity."
.
Robertson claimed that he had the music to the song in his head but had no idea what it was to be about. "At some point [the concept] blurted out to me. Then I went and I did some research and I wrote the lyrics to the song." Robertson continued, "When I first went down South, I remember that a quite common expression would be, 'Well don't worry, the South's gonna rise again.' At one point when I heard it I thought it was kind of a funny statement and then I heard it another time and I was really touched by it. I thought, 'God, because I keep hearing this, there's pain here, there is a sadness here.' In Americana land, it's a kind of a beautiful sadness." [1]

Context within the album and The Band's history

According to the liner notes to the 2000 reissue of The Band by Rob Bowman, the album, The Band, has been viewed as a concept album, with the songs focusing on peoples, places and traditions associated with an older version of Americana.
.
Though never a major hit, "Dixie" was the centerpiece of The Band's self-titled second album, and, along with "The Weight" from Music From Big Pink, remains one of the songs most identified with the group.
.
The Band frequently performed the song in concert, and it can be found on the group's live albums Rock of Ages (1972) and Before the Flood (1974). It was also a highlight of their "farewell" concert on Thanksgiving Day 1976, and is featured in the documentary film about the concert, The Last Waltz, as well as the soundtrack album from the film. It was #245 on Rolling Stone Magazine's list of the 500 greatest songs of all time.[2]
.
The last time the song was performed by Helm was in The Last Waltz (1978). Since Robertson went to the record label and claimed that he wrote the music and lyrics, he has writing credits to the song (and most other songs by The Band, including "The Weight"). Helm, a native of Alabama, claims to have contributed significantly to the lyrics. In his 1993 book 'This Wheel's on Fire', Helm writes 'Robbie and I worked on "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" up in Woodstock. I remember taking him to the library so he could research the history and geography of the era and make General Robert E. Lee come out with all due respect.'"
.
Levon Helm refuses to play the song and it has not been heard live since 1978 even though Helm holds concerts, which he calls "Midnight Rambles", several times a month at his private residence in Woodstock, NY.

Covers of song

The song has spawned a handful of cover versions.
.
The most successful English-language cover of the song was a version by Joan Baez released in 1971, which reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the US, as well as spending five weeks atop the adult contemporary chart[3]. Baez's version made some changes to the song lyric; The second line "Till Stoneman's cavalry came". Baez sings "Till so much cavalry came". She also changed "May the tenth" to "I took the train". In addition, the line "like my father before me, I will work the land" was changed to "like my father before me, I'm a working man", changing the narrator from a farmer to a laborer. In the last verse she changed "the mud below my feet" to "the blood below my feet". Baez later told Rolling Stone's Kurt Loder that she initially learned the song by listening to the recording on the Band's album, and had never seen the printed lyrics at the time she recorded it, and thus sang the lyrics as she'd (mis)heard them. In more recent years in her concerts, Baez has performed the song as originally written by Robertson.[4]
.
Johnny Cash covered the song on his 1975 album John R. Cash. Old-time musician Jimmy Arnold recorded the song on his album "Southern Soul," which was composed of songs associated with the Southern side of the Civil War. Steve Young recorded the song on his 1975 album Honky Tonk Man. Richie Havens performed the song on his Live at the Cellar Door album in 1990. The song also appears on the album Whose Garden Was This by John Denver, released in 1970. It was also included in his 2001 release, John Denver The Greatest Collection. The song has also been covered by The Black Crowes; live versions can be found on a few of their 2005 & 2006 Instant Live recordings, and on their DVD/CD Freak and Roll... Into the Fog. Scottish rock band Big Country also covered the song on their live album Eclectic. The Allman Brothers Band covered the song for the 2007 album Endless Highway: The Music of The Band. Lead singer and guitarist Warren Haynes also appears with his band Gov't Mule on the same album covering "The Shape I'm In". The Jerry Garcia Band also covered the song live for over 20 years and it is still held as a fan favorite today.
.
In 1972, a cover of the song called "Am Tag, als Conny Kramer starb" (which translates literally as "On the Day Conny Kramer Died", or "The Day when Conny Kramer Died" to fit the rhythm of the tune), was a number one hit in West Germany for singer Juliane Werding. For this version, the lyrics were not translated but rather changed completely to an anti-drug anthem about a young man dying because of his drug addiction - an extremely hot topic in that year, when heroin was making the first big inroads in Germany. In 1986 the German band Die Goldenen Zitronen made a parody version of this song with the title "Am Tag, als Thomas Anders starb" ("On the Day Thomas Anders Died").
.
A fairly large-scale orchestrated version of the song appears on the little-known 1971 concept album California '99 (ABC Records, ABC728) by composer/arranger/producer Jimmie Haskell, with lead vocal by Jimmy Witherspoon.
.
In 2007, The Charlie Daniels Band covered it on the album Deuces, with their cover version including guest vocals from Vince Gill.
.
Big Country recorded this on their live album, "Eclectic", released August 5, 1996.

Personnel on The Band version

References

  1. ^ The Band: The Last Waltz
  2. ^ The RS 500 Greatest Songs of All Time : Rolling Stone
  3. ^ The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 6th Edition, 1996
  4. ^ Kurt Loder (1983). "Joan Baez: The Rolling Stone Interview". Rolling Stone 4/14/83 (issue # 393)/4

External links

.

Sem comentários: